A neti pot is a device that pushes a flow of a saline solution through your nasal passages, clearing out built-up mucus and allergens trapped inside your nasal passage. Why saline instead of just water? It helps prevent irritation of your nasal passage.
Benefits Of Using a Neti Pot
- Thoroughly rinses the nasal passage.
- Removes backed-up mucus.
- Limits congestion and improves breathing.
- Relieves sinus pressure.
- Improves conditions without the side effects of over-the-counter medication, like drowsiness or stimulation.
How To Use A Neti Pot
Your neti pot will push a flow of a saline solution through your nasal passages, clearing out built-up mucus and allergens trapped inside your nasal passage. Saline helps prevent irritation of your nasal passage.
- Combine warm water with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and mix well
- Position yourself over a sink. You’ll be pouring water from your nose, so you want the minimum amount of cleanup.
- Place the tip of the spout inside one nostril, creating a seal.
- Tilt your head forward, looking down at the sink, and lift the neti pot at an angle, sending the saline solution into your nasal passage.
- Gravity carries the solution through your nasal cavity and out of your other nostril.
- Allow the solution and excess mucus to drip out your nostril, blowing your nose to clear the nasal passage.
- Repeat for your other nostril.
Tips For Using Your Neti Pot
While there are several benefits to using a neti pot, there are essential tips to keep in mind to get the best possible results and avoid creating unnecessary issues from regular use.
- Don’t use tap water. Use distilled, filtered, bottled or boiled water at room temperature — never tap water. Tap water may not have been screened or treated like distilled or bottled has and may cause infections.
- Clean your Neti Pot thoroughly. Besides the water you use, it’s important to disinfect and clean your neti pot thoroughly to avoid infections. Rinse the irrigation device after each use with safe water and leave the device open to air dry altogether. During the coronavirus pandemic, it’s recommended that you clean your neti pot after every single use.
- Don’t forget to replace your neti pot periodically.